Saturday, August 13, 2016

A511.1.3.RB_Vore_Dan


A511.1.3.RB_Vore_Dan



Leadership Is a Two Way Street That Can Be Life Changing



When I was a young Captain in the Air Force, I was assigned as the Team Lead for the Low Altitude Navigation and Infrared Targeting for Night (LANTIRN) Targeting Pod production program.  When I stepped into this role, the program was in terrible trouble.  The Company producing the Targeting Pods had only delivered 17 of them and they were in 15 different configurations.  Video issues plagued the performance of the pod, as did several mechanical and electrical problems.  The technical data was inaccurate and incomplete, the support equipment generally did not work, and the using command, while they loved the capability of the targeting pod, was complaining bitterly about their maintainability, reliability and performance in the field.  In short, things were a mess.  We had over 450 total pods to produce and with each new pod there seemed to come yet more new problems to add to the existing ones.

I began a series of reviews, including an extended trip to one operating location where the pods were being used on the F-15E aircraft.  I visited the intermediate-level maintenance shop where they had five pods in-house that were not working and which they could not fix with the existing technical data and support equipment.  I had them show me some of the examples and late that same evening, I called the Company VP and his Director of Maintenance and Logistics and told them to get on an airplane in the morning and that I would pick them up at the airport.  When they arrived, I took them straight to the “back shop”, had them take off their ties, roll up their sleeves, and try to diagnose and repair one of the pods using their tech data and support equipment.  Within about ten minutes, they threw up their hands.  I had their attention.

The Colonel for whom I worked at the time told me to pick someone within the Company to be my industry counterpart as their lead Program Director for the Targeting Pod Program.  I made my selection, that gentleman was promoted and handed the reins.  From the start, he was one of the best leaders with whom I have ever worked.  In a very real sense, we worked for each other.  Together, we had the responsibility to right the ship, and we had our work cut out for us.  We quickly agreed at the outset that together we would work on a handshake and that when we said we were going to do something, we could trust each other’s word that it would be done.  So how were we going to take this broken program, with a whole workforce that was demoralized (on the Company side), and several military organizations and offices (on my side) that were completely disillusioned and make it into a successful program?

This gentleman and I did a lot of talking, strategizing, and interviewing of several people on both sides of the table (USAF and Corporate).  Up to the point of my selecting this man to become the new Company Program Manager, the Company had gone through several of its top executives, engineers, logisticians, and production managers to no avail.  But we began to sift through all of the problems and issues and gradually some patterns began to emerge.  We also formed a lifelong friendship and healthy mutual respect for one another, the likes of which I have never since experienced.  A real, solid partnership emerged fairly quickly.

We hired two process control experts and paired them up with design engineers, manufacturing engineers, and logisticians.  We sat down with the folks on the manufacturing floor who actually built the targeting pods.  Likewise, we sat down with the folks who produced the support equipment and the technical data.  Following the guiding principles of Dr. W. Edwards Deming, we began to identify key processes and key variables where measurements were needed.  To make a long story short, we implemented a system-wide statistical process control system wherein the critical design variables that were identified by the design engineers were evaluated on the production line.  A whole new picture emerged, data was analyzed, processes were adjusted, tolerances were re-evaluated and adjusted as required, and the measurement criteria used for acceptance testing of the pods was aligned with the test variables and measurement techniques of the support equipment.  The technical data was overhauled and corrected.  In the end, we went from 15 configurations of pods to two, and we went from more than 18 months behind schedule to finish all 450-plus pods one year ahead of schedule, and the mission capable rate in the field, as well as overall performance was exceptional.

That’s a long story and a lot of technical detail to make the point that leadership is indeed a process.  It is a process of establishing mutual trust, mutual goals, of keeping those goals and indicators on how well you are doing visible to all people involved; to show everyone that necessary changes are being made and that they are achieving favorable results – that we are “winning”.  Winning is motivation.  Being on a winning team, solving difficult problems working shoulder-to-shoulder is motivation.  Morale skyrocketed as followers became justifiably proud of their efforts, their work, and their products.  And for the two of us as the leaders (myself and my Company counterpart), we learned more from the followers about the product, the manufacturing processes, and how to “fix” problems like this than we could have ever imagined.  On top of that, we got the privilege of directly implementing and experiencing the teachings of Dr. Deming and seeing the results.  As I worked with my Company counterpart, I get to learn how leadership works inside and industrial organization.  I learned more about leadership from that man than I have ever learned from anyone before or since.

As I said, my Company counterpart and I became lifelong friends.  In recognition of his efforts and successes, the Company promoted him to Vice President.  I saw him a couple of times when he came to The Pentagon to discuss what eventually became a Navy program to put targeting pods on F-14s.  Everyone won.  It was the most rewarding experience in my professional life.  Unfortunately, a few days before I was to travel to Orlando, where he and his wife and young daughter lived, to visit him, he died in a diving accident at the age of 54 (the same age that I am now).  So instead of going to his house for dinner, I went to his house for his wake and to express to his wife how terribly sorry I was about his very untimely death.  Leadership experiences, if you are very lucky, can come along that will change your life for the better and forever.  I was one of the lucky ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment