Saturday, June 11, 2016

A500.2.3.RB.VoreDan


Tell Your Story



In Learning to Think Things Through (Nosich, page 162) the author asks, “What are some standards that are most important in your life?”  He also asks, “How did you acquire those standards? [and] How have they changed over the years?”  I will first focus on some general standards that I try to live up to in my life; I will then discuss the Critical Thinking Standards in the text and comment on the extent that I hold these important in my life (and work).

First and foremost, I attempt to live my life in accordance with Christian morals and standards as I have learned growing up, and in my adult life through attendance at church, various classes, reading The Bible, and hard-won experience.  Before going any further, let me state for the record that I understand Christians have not cornered the market on standards.  In fact, many self-professed Christians appear to abide by questionable standards and morals, while others who do not profess to be Christian live exemplary lives.  Also, let me point out that I’m not talking about The Old Testament (except for the Ten Commandments) and all of the Laws of Moses when I refer to Christian standards.  Instead, I try to live my life according to The New Testament.  Among these Christian standards are honesty, kindness to others, loving one’s neighbor as yourself, loving God will all of your heart, mind, soul, and strength, not judging lest you also be judged, forgiveness, and the overall words and teachings of Christ as contained within the Scriptures.  I grew up in a Christian home, where these values were taught; I attended church with my parents and these standards simply became the context for living life.  But as a child and a young adult, I don’t believe that I truly understood the criticality of these values, nor did I make it a priority to live in accordance with them as I have come to later in life.  I believed that these standards were important in my younger years, but I often “pushed the envelope” in day-to-day life.  It wasn’t until I suffered the consequences of violating some of these standards, and learned from my mistakes a few times, that I truly came to understand how vital living up to them is if you want to be at peace with yourself, others, and your life in general.  In a sense, I had to start all over in learning about these standards and their direct application to my living once I had begun to understand the mess your life can become by not living according to them.  As such, I have gained a much greater appreciation of these Christian standards as I have gotten older; they are not just “rules” or words, or concepts, or good suggestions, but truly are important instructions for living one’s life.

Before I get into Critical Thinking Standards, I want to mention three additional standard of sorts that I also learned from my parents and grandparents that have served me well both in my military career and in life after the military.  I call this first standard the “work ethic”, and I believe it is related to the Christian standards that I discussed above.  At an early age, from watching my parents (my father, especially) and my grandparents, and through my own assignment of daily chores around the house, I learned to work hard and to give it your all in everything that you do, or strive to accomplish.  Many of the old sayings come to mind with this one, such as “If someone asks you to go a mile, go two.”  Implicit in this work ethic is respect for authority, which is also related to Christian values.  I don’t mean any “authority”; what I mean is what I would call “legitimate” authority, starting with God but also including your parents, your elders, your instructors, and your boss.  Clearly, when working at any job, if your boss is asking you to do something dishonest, illegal, or unethical, you have the right (even the obligation) to refuse.  In the military, there is the concept of a “lawful order”, which means that your boss cannot order you to do something illegal (in accordance with the Uniform Code of Military Justice and the Laws of Armed Conflict).  If your boss does give an order that is illegal, it is your duty to respectfully decline.  But that is a subject for a whole other paper.  In general, one is to work hard and in accordance with the boss’s instructions whether you are putting in an eight-hour day, or whether you are asked to work nights and weekends on an important project.  I have always maintained a strict, high work ethic, though this is becoming more difficult with age; I simply don’t have the energy or the stamina that I once did.

Energy and stamina bring me to the next two standards by which, although you couldn’t necessarily tell by looking at me these days, I try to live life.  These two standards are health and fitness.  I attempt, through diet, exercise, and good sleep habits, to maintain a high level of health and fitness in life.  This was relatively easy when I was young, and I had much more energy, stamina, and inner drive.  And it was especially easy to eat properly when I still lived at home with my parents until the end of high school.  As an aside, many things seemed easier until I left home and began living on my own through college and even up through present day.  My parents provided the boundaries, kept good food on the table, and generally made life much easier to live according to the standards that I have mentioned thus far.  Once on my own, essentially free to live life as I chose, many aspects of my life became less organized and I realize in looking back that I just thought that I would automatically live life on my own as I had with my parents.  But that didn’t happen.  Maintaining standards require focus and work.  I would come to learn this later in life; although it may seem obvious now, it was not obvious in my twenties and thirties.  Now age 54, having had three back surgeries, and also having developed Type II Diabetes, eating the proper foods and maintaining good and consistent exercise habits has become much more critical.  Like much of life, there is no “destination” when it comes to standards of health and fitness.  It remains a journey and keeping those standards in mind as I live each day of life is incredibly important.  Let me turn my attention now to Critical Thinking standards.

Nosich (Learning How to Think Things Through, Fourth Edition, 2012) lists seven Standards of Critical Thinking: clearness, accuracy, importance/relevance, sufficiency, depth, breadth, and precision.  Not all are as familiar to me, nor do I practice them, as much as I should.  Clearness and accuracy I have always strived for in both my spoken and written communications.  This started early on in grade school and continues through present day as I write various documents, reports, and letters, and prepare briefings for senior leadership in the acquisition program office where I work.  During my three and one-half years in The Pentagon when I was on active duty, I “went to school” on clearness and accuracy as I dealt routinely with general officers.  Generals have no time or patience for information that is not presented to them in a clear and accurate (and concise) manner.  Importance and relevance I have also attempted to work hard at through the years; these two standards (or one combined standard in our text) are really an element of “logic” for me.  If something is not important/relevant, I immediately question its value in conversation or writing.  Again, my military background and experiences also emphasized important/relevant when providing information and in making recommendations or decisions.  Depth is something that I learned about through school and my undergraduate work, but graduate school and writing my Master’s Thesis really brought it home.  Not just the literature review section of my Thesis, but also the mathematical modeling and results section required significant depth of research and writing.  Breadth is something that I’m more likely to forget in my reasoning or writing.  For topics that I know well, breadth comes more naturally because I understand how many things are interrelated.  However, if I’m dealing with a topic that I know little about, breadth is not necessarily something that I remember to consider.  Precision, closely related to accuracy, is something that I value highly, probably (or especially) as a result of my military training and career.  The ability to say or to report exactly what happened, what you mean, what you observed, or what needs to happen is critical to decision making.  This is not to say that the other six standards are not, but precision to me is the hallmark of good, critical thinking.  As a chemical engineering undergraduate, I spent four years learning the fine art of precision (trust me).  But precision with words is as important as precision with numbers.  On the whole, I’d like to think that I already employ these standards in my thinking and writing, but as I read Nosich, and as I work through the assigned writings in this course, I am either discovering or re-remembering how to actively apply them and (hopefully) apply them well.  I believe such to be a lifelong work in process.  I also see the necessity of mastering these standards for excellence in leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment