Thursday, June 16, 2016

A500.3.3.RB.VoreDan


Organizational Leadership as a System



When one thinks of Organizational Leadership, or any subject that one might study, as a system of thinking, and not just a body of information, then Organizational Leadership becomes a rich collection of well-ordered and cascading concepts that allow one to critically think through an Organizational Leadership question, challenge, or situation to derive a well-reasoned conclusion.  In other words, approaching Organizational Leadership as a system of thinking causes one to internalize the deep and essential concepts that comprise the discipline in order that one might then apply these concepts to any scenario involving the leadership of an organization.  When I was a graduate student many years ago, my statistics professor worked with us to draw a detailed diagram (a concept map, actually) of the fundamental concepts of statistics that included the different types of distributions, statistical tests, and conditions under which one might go down one branch or path of the diagram, and in so doing this exercise as the class progressed, when we were done, we could see the entire field of statistics in one picture – a roadmap – and we also knew how each different area could be applied to problems that we might encounter in the future where we needed to draw upon statistical analysis.  But just as importantly, with this diagram, we could see the relationships among the parts, and we knew how to think about statistical problems in such a manner that we could then diagnose a particular problem, think through the right technique to apply, and then go dig into the depths of that application to solve the problem correctly.  Also, with this type of knowledge, we could communicate these concepts to others and help them to understand what we were doing for example when we established a detailed system of statistical process control on a complex manufacturing line that was at the heart of the acquisition program I was assigned to after graduation.  I should note that the statistics course structured, and the concept map was based, on a great book entitled Learning How to Learn, by Novak, Gowin, and Kahle (September 28, 1984).  It was the first time that I had ever encountered this teaching method and also the first time that I had a true grasp – a complete picture and thorough understanding – of a complex subject that I had studied in school.  When I came away from that treatment of the subject of statistics, I truly knew about statistics and I could reason my way through any situation that required its application.

Contrast this with treating the topic of Organizational Leadership, or any subject, as merely a body of knowledge.  Treating subjects as merely bodies of knowledge was, in fact, the way that my entire academic career had progressed until that statistics class.  You learn rote facts, you study for the tests, you regurgitate these rote facts when prompted, and then not only do you promptly forget those facts, when someone asks you about the subject you find that you really don’t know the first thing about it.  How incredibly frustrating it was, for example, to work my way through an entire four-year degree in chemical engineering and then discover that I really couldn’t remember much of anything that I had learned.  I couldn’t answer questions or analyze problems.  In fact, in retrospect, I had not learned about chemical engineering at all.  I crammed my head full of numbers and facts so that I could pass the exams but I came away without a picture of what chemical engineering was, or how to solve chemical engineering problems.  So too with treating Organizational Leadership as a mere body of knowledge.  And as a leader, one will not succeed if all you have at the end of your MS in Leadership degree program is a perishable collection of disparate facts.  Leaders, of all people, must be able to think through problems, understand the fundamental and key concepts, use these concepts to diagnose an organizational issue, and know where to go if necessary – what specifically to reach for – to solve the problem.  As I continue to approach my learning as part of this MS in Leadership program, I will seek to understand the key concepts – the fundamental and powerful concepts as Nosich puts it – and apply the appropriate concepts (just as I would apply the right statistical technique to a statistical problem) to the questions that each assignment poses and the overall questions that the course as a whole generates.  I would be empowered to do this because I truly learned about Organizational Leadership.  So when I’m done, I won’t walk away with a bunch of facts – let’s call them trivia – that I quickly forget and just go back to my old ways of approaching the topic.  Instead, I’ll have a roadmap that allows me to engage my newly earned knowledge and to discuss and explain, and to reason so that others within the organization and those above me will understand and agree with my diagnoses and recommendations.  In so doing I will be well equipped to apply my MS in Leadership to my work to enable better outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment